Towns in Rabun County
Rabun Gap, Georgia
Rabun Gap was named for the natural gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains where the unincorporated community is located. Due to its relatively flat topography in the Little Tennessee River Valley, Rabun Gap has long been the center of farming in Rabun County. In 1905, Andrew Jackson Ritchie and his wife, Addie Corn Ritchie, established the Rabun Gap Industrial School in Rabun Gap to educate the isolated people of the region. A fire destroyed the school’s main building in 1926, and not long after, a fire struck the Nacoochee Institute in neighboring White County. The Trustees of the both schools voted to merge and build one larger school, located on the Industrial School site and called Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School. Today, it is a leading boarding and day school for students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
Visit our Museum
Want to learn more about Rabun Gap, Wolffolk Valley and the people and events that shaped the history of Rabun County? The Society’s museum is free and open to the public.