Logan's Bleckley's father, James, served as Rabun County's Clerk of Court and sheriff and exposed his son to law at an early age. Logan began studying law by reading statutes in his father's office. By age 18, the self-educated Bleckley had been admitted to the Georgia Bar.
After practicing law in Rabun, Fulton, and Coweta counties, he was appointed recorder of the state Supreme Court. In 1875 Bleckley was appointed Associate Justice of Georgia's Supreme Court, and in 1887 he became Chief Justice. Poor health prompted his retirement in 1894.
Known for his eccentricities, in Bleckley's annual speech to the Georgia Bar, he emphasized his interests other than law, including poetry, philosophy and mathematics. He died in his Clarkesville home in 1907 and is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. In 1912 Bleckley County (Cochran) was created and named in his honor.
Described as "this long-limbed, large brained son of the mountains," Justice Logan E. Bleckley was regarded by the legal fraternity as one of the greatest legal minds ever born in the State of Georgia.
After his death, his family gave a tract of land near Clayton, and his son designed a building to be called the Bleckley Memorial Institute.
At the turn of the twentieth century, Rabun County remained largely isolated from the outside world. This would change dramatically with the coming of a railroad which also brought tourism, logging and dam building.
View this exhibit
Browse our gallery by selecting a topic you are interested in: