Discover the Rich History of Rabun County and Northeast Georgia
- Clayton, Georgia was founded at the intersection of five ancient Cherokee trails that connected the area to points throughout the Southeast.
- The legendary Tallulah Falls Railroad opened Rabun County to the outside world in the late 19th century and forged the area’s future.
- Georgia’s first environmental battle was fought in Rabun County in 1911 between the widow of a Civil War general and an Atlanta electric utility.
- Between 1913 and 1927, six dams and hydroelectric generating plants were built along a contiguous 26-mile portion of the Tallulah and Tugalo Rivers in Rabun, Habersham and Stephens counties. The recreational lakes created by the dams forever changed the physical landscape of northeast Georgia.
- Tens of thousands of acres in Rabun County were clear-cut by lumber companies during the first decades of the 20th century.
- Rabun County was once the moonshining capital of Georgia.
You will learn about these and other important events and activities that shaped the history of northeast Georgia when you tour the museum of the Rabun County Historical Society in Clayton.
The Society is dedicated to keeping alive Rabun County’s 200-year history in the Appalachian Mountains of Georgia. We collect, preserve and display important historic artifacts, photographs and records in our 2,300-square-foot museum and archives.
Visit Our Museum
Our renovated museum will reopen on Friday, June 11 at 11:00 a.m. We will be featuring many exciting new exhibits. Thereafter we will be open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Become a Member
News & Events
- Rabun County Historical Society Museum Reopens Friday, June 11
Clayton, GA—May 20, 2021—The museum of the Rabun County Historical Society in downtown Clayton will reopen to the public on…Read More »
- Moonshine Still Needed For Rabun County Historical Society Museum Exhibit
Clayton, Ga.—October 2, 2020—The Rabun County Historical Society is asking area residents to donate or loan a moonshining still to…Read More »
- Rabun County Historical Society Museum Closed For Renovation
The Rabun County Historical Society’s museum in downtown Clayton has been closed while undergoing an extensive renovation to accommodate important…Read More »
- Rabun County Historical Society Will Display Extensive Collection Of Tallulah Falls Railroad Artifacts Through Partnership with Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School
The Rabun County Historical Society today announced that it has formed a partnership with the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School through which…Read More »